Tired of soups that fail to satisfy your appetite? If you ask us, nothing is worse than enjoying a large bowl of soup and crackers, only to find yourself hungry once more an hour or two later. Luckily, this Chickpea and Kale Soup is the perfect balance of hearty and delicious, thanks to a generous helping of kale and chickpeas. This recipe also comes together in a few simple steps, making it a great option for quick, healthy dinners. Try it for yourself with this easy recipe!
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 6 cloves minced garlic
• 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
• 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
• 1 14-oz can tomato puree
• 1 bunch kale, stems and tough ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped (about 13 cups)
• 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 c. grated Romano cheese
• Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven on medium. Add garlic and zest and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Add red pepper and fennel and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes.
3. Add tomato puree, 4 cups water, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil; add kale and simmer 4 minutes.
4. Add chickpeas and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
5. Serve with grated Romano cheese and lemon wedges if desired.
After a long day, it can be tempting to order take-out for dinner. Instead of settling, the team at Oxford Pointe Apartments in Thornton, Colorado would like to suggest this delicious and nutritious alternative!